#NothingFeelsBetterThan is trending right now. It is Super Bowl Sunday and Cordova Ice Worm Day…
This year Barnes & Noble is closing about 1/3 of its stores. That’s somewhere between 190-240 stores. It was hard enough getting on those bookshelves when they were in their heyday, but now, they have pulled back, now they aren’t willing to take any risks of any kind on unknown authors. So, stop trying to chase after book store shelf space. That model of doing business is dying if not dead. The same is true with traditional publishers. If you’re still waiting for someone to discover you or appreciate you, guess what – they can’t right now. Their industry is crumbling around them.
What hasn’t stopped happening is how much people are writing. In fact, I think that has increased. And in fact, the methods to get the books out there has become more and more diversified. So, it is a great time to be an author – as long as you’re keeping up with the times.
Yesterday, I told you about a book launch for Peacemaker 2564AD. It was a successful event. Lots of people came, lots of books sold. But his reach was just his friends and family in the local area. He has a ton more people in his direct circle of influence who would love to go to a launch party for him. So, how do you do a launch party with a much greater reach? Go online!
Don’t just limit this to a launch event. If you have a new class – new lesson – new anything, think about doing a virtual event!
- First, become a reseller on Amazon.com for your book. List at least 50 copies (or as many as you have in inventory). Truly, I hope you’ve already done this.
- Second, find the link to your book in your Amazon store (not Amazon’s main store.) Angel On Board in my store vs. Angel On Board in Amazon’s store – note the differences (quantities – ship from location etc).
- Third, set a time and place for a phone call 1-2 hours long.
- Fourth, find a free teleconference service like FreeConference.com (http://www.freeconference.com/) . There are several. Test it a couple of times with a small group of friends to get a feel for it.
- Fifth, send out an e-vite for your time, place, with the phone number / pin # and the link to your book in your store.
- Sixth, execute the call. Greet everyone. Do a reading. Take questions. Enjoy the visit. And every 15 minutes or so, repeat the web address for your store on Amazon.com.
What a virtual event does is give your extended friends and family a chance to celebrate your accomplishment with you and they’ll buy your book from you to be sure to get an autographed copy. This sale goes through the Amazon.com merchant account, so you don’t have to do any credit card processing. Best of all, Amazon.com registers a multitude of sales of your book and you get to see your sales rank improve dramatically – very likely to a best-seller status at least in one category. All this gets done in 1-2 hours!
Try it you’ll like it!
If you want help coordinating a virtual event, it is a service we provide. Call us at 303.794.8888 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org!
Go team go!